The largest for-profit operators of aviation training centers worldwide trust STARS to efficiently operate their training centers. STARS provides a fully integrated software solution that supports a broad range of operations including planning, course design, registration, scheduling, instructor management, regulatory compliance, grading, and reporting.
Powerful. Flexible. Trusted.
Powerful. Flexible. Trusted.
Key STARS Features
An aviation training center requires coordinated efforts to plan, schedule and deliver top quality training. As described further in the sections below, the STARS Training Management System provides numerous features that support these efforts.
STARS provides powerful tools to answer critical planning questions, such as:
- Can we train the projected flow of students with our existing instructors and resources?
- Can we optimize the pattern of classes to balance the use of the simulator?
- How many instructors do we need?
- What are the demands of the current schedule?
- What if the number of trainees increases?
Users of STARS have access to all features. There are no arbitrary divisions in the application or expensive modules to buy. Hide features until you need them.
STARS was designed to handle the complexity inherent at real-world training centers. Whether using standardized courses or completely customized course footprints, STARS has the tools to help you schedule with ease and confidence. Key components include:
- A visual Course Structure Editor that enables course footprints to be quickly created and easily revised.
- Develop and maintain curriculums for pilots, maintenance technicians, cabin crew, instructors, dispatch, etc.
- Manage variations within a course based on regulatory requirements, student experience, customer requests, etc.
- Support for course versioning and lifecycle.
Whether you’re registering students as they sign up or creating training for an entire fleet, STARS creates reservations that properly reflect the required training with:
- Multiple ways of registering students for training whether individually, as a crew, or in groups.
- A powerful availability engine to apply capacity, simulator and check airman constraints
- Support for hourly and class-based training
- Confirmed, tentative and waitlisted reservations
- Ability to book additional related courses simultaneously
Regulations and Compliance
STARS gives confidence that regulatory requirements are satisfied by continuously monitoring planned and delivered training for compliance. STARS can be configured to track the requirements that are important to your organization.
When you use STARS, you’ll know:
- your instructor’s credentials are valid
- the simulator has the appropriate approvals
- the training meets the organization’s requirements
STARS resolves complex situations involving students training under different regulatory agencies and company-specific requirements every day.
STARS quickly identifies any proposed training that is non-compliant.
STARS understands and enforces instructor training requirements, licenses, letters of authorizations, instructors who teach different parts of the curriculum, device approvals, instructors who work for a limited number of customers, organizations who work with a limited number of instructors, and much more.
Complex Scheduling Made Easy
From initial schedule generation to schedule refinement to last-minute changes, STARS makes operational scheduling easy. Key components include:
- Automated scheduler based on course structures, optionally including deviations approved during booking
- Powerful visual schedule editor with multiple schedule views
- Unified schedule—one change updates all related schedules
- Compliance conflict detection and notification
STARS has the scalability and partitioning features necessary to effectively manage multiple training centers. It works fine for a single center, too.
The business processes and regulatory requirements for the training center for an airline are quite different than those for a center that trains many customers. STARS manages both types of centers equally well.
Dynamic Electronic Records
Instructors prepare for training and record training results using the included STARS Electronic Grading feature, which supports the training issues that occur in the real world, such as:
- Students with different training requirements
- Lessons that finish without covering all expected topics
- Students who are not proficient or are absent
When all training requirements have been completed, customizable training records are generated.
Accessing Your Data
Provide information to offsite users through a web portal. Use the STARS portal or integrate it into your existing portal.
Make effective use of the information in STARS with:
- Ad hoc queries
- Data exports in multiple formats
- Automated access via web services API
Flexible, table-driven configuration quickly adapts STARS to your business.
STARS supports inbound and outbound integration. This allows STARS to work cooperatively with other software applications, such as an enterprise accounting system or an internally developed program that addresses a pressing need.
Authorized external systems can call a STARS web service to retrieve data, create records, update records, and delete records.
STARS can be configured to call external web services when a record is changed or an event occurs.
Security and Support
STARS uses configurable user roles to define the data that is visible to a specific person and the operations they can perform. For instance:
- A program manager role may allow the user to view a wide variety of data, maintain instructor credentials, and assign instructors to appointments, but not make schedule updates that would affect the time of a student’s appointment.
- An external user role may be allowed very limited rights: to view only redacted simulator schedules that only show appointments details for a specific customer.
DLS Systems believes in personalized support. Each STARS customer is assigned a customer advocate who works closely with them to understand how they are using STARS, resolve any problems, identify potential enhancements, and serve as the customer’s voice in internal meetings of the support and development teams. Our goal is to ensure a high standard of service and responsiveness in the customer experience.